Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Money and the Fantasy of Control

Last night I was giving very wise advice to my 19 year old son. There is a position that he has applied for and it is very important to him to be chosen for the position. But he has very little control over the choice and even feels that another candidate has certain advantages.

"I'm so worried, Mom," he said to me. And in my wisdom I gave him advice.

"Think of this as an opportunity to trust God. Every time you start feeling worried, just turn your thoughts to God and choose to trust him." Never give advice, especially spiritual advice. It always comes back to bite you.

This week Tim and I have been trying to finalize the decision we are making about wall ovens. We have set aside enough money that price is not an issue. That only makes it worse. We want to choose the "best" oven. Hah! The reviews on Consumer Report's so-called "Best Buy" claim that CR got it wrong this time.

Pick an oven - ANY OVEN. Someone will love it and someone else will have had nothing but trouble with it from the moment it entered the house.

And so I'm worried - very worried. Can you hear my son chuckling? "Mom, this is an opportunity to trust God."

1 comment:

  1. missed this when it came out-- but if you haven't picked yet, I'll give you my one bit of oven advice: do NOT get a gas oven. Gas range, yes. Gas oven, no.

    OK. That's all. Miss you. This must mean that your kitchen renovations are practically done??

    ReplyDelete