Monday, September 24, 2012

Living in a Fantasy World - Trusting God

I was trimming some Siberian Irises the other day, busily working along when suddenly I remembered ... Oh my goodness, I am standing with my back to a six foot sheer drop.  The drop is created by the window wells my family dug years ago to bring light into the basement.

Mind you, I was very safe.  I had both feet on the ground and was bent over so even my center of gravity was low.  But for a moment, I felt a mild vertigo.  I was afraid I'd fall.

The danger, most of it, didn't really come from the window well.  It came from my anxiety about the window well and whether or not I would forget and misstep. (I know: Churchill said it bunches of years ago "We have nothing to fear except fear itself.")

While I was in the Fantasy World, totally unmindful of the sheer drop 9 inches away, I was really pretty safe. And I was getting stuff done, the stuff that needed to be done.

My point is that trusting God can have some of the same effects as living in a Fantasy World.  It allows me to concentrate on the task at hand without indulging in anxieties about all the "what ifs" connected with my present position.

1 comment: