Friday, January 09, 2009

The Shack - A reading journal

I finally read The Shack. I had, up to this point, resisted because these "in" books among "christians" tend to leave me cold. I found The Shack was interesting because the author used God to articulate (pretty clearly, in most cases) my theological beliefs.

In fact, the author (using Jesus as his speaker) made one really good point: to be redeemed by God is to learn to "live loved" (p. 175 - In the Belly of the Beast chapter). One of the most humbling and validating things in my life is being truly loved for who I am - not who I think I am, or who I am planning or trying to be, but just the person that I actually am. And there is probably only one, maybe two, people who know me well enough to really love ME.

The people I know who are truly miserable have never had the courage to let go and be loved. Most of them have good excuses based on past experiences. But it makes me sad and angry at the same time to watch these miserable folks refuse to be loved -- they take everything that is offered to them as something they have somehow earned or "deserved". This kind of loving always has its roots in God/Goodness because it refuses to be sidetracked by hurts and failures. And IMO that kind of love comes from a source that is greater than I am.

Having said that, I find the whole quasi-fictional set-up hokey. It is convincing only to those who want to be convinced. The character Mack raises questions - but he doesn't really QUESTION God. The light always goes on for him way to quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment